I can not wait to get to my growing post-graduate school to-do/learn list. Earning a masters degree has taken up nearly every ounce of my time and I am bursting at the seems to make and learn so many things!!
This year I resolve to keep intensively practicing and learning these things skills:
- bellyflutters …….slowly but surely getting better.
- zills/sagat/finger cymbals …….been putting on old 1970s bellydance LPs, strapping on my zills and dancing in the living room between thesis edits.
- (re)learn Arabic rhythms ………How? You ask –or perhaps I unsolicitedly tell you: George Sawa‘s CD set. This man is amazing. I highly recommend his “Art of the Early Egyptian Qanun” CDs. Plus I will be stuck on a tour bus with master percussionist Issam Houshan for 4 months, so I’ll be picking his musical brain.
- ukulele ……yes, I play and I even wrote a lil song this year about procrastination…and love.
I’m also planning to:
- Develop my syllabus for intensive study of dance composition and bellydance history (touring these workshops beginning in 2013!)
- choreograph like mad all the ideas I started to develop in my composition classes this past year
- sew new costumes for the new Bellydance Superstars tour
- update my blog on the regular